Molecular Markers Natural History and Evolution

Written as an intellectual stimulus for the advanced undergraduate, graduate student, or the practicing biologist desiring a wellspring of research ideas at the interface of molecular and organismal biology, this book presents material in a ...

Author: J. C. Avise

Publisher: Springer Science & Business Media

ISBN: 9781461523819

Category: Science

Page: 511

View: 897

Download →

Molecular approaches have opened new windows on a host of ecological and evolutionary disciplines, ranging from population genetics and behavioral ecology to conservation biology and systematics. Molecular Markers, Natural History and Evolution summarizes the multi-faceted discoveries about organisms in nature that have stemmed from analyses of genetic markers provided by polymorphic proteins and DNAs. The first part of the book introduces rationales for the use of molecular markers, provides a history of molecular phylogenetics, and describes a wide variety of laboratory methods and interpretative tools in the field. The second and major portion of the book provides a cornucopia of biological applications for molecular markers, organized along a scale from micro-evolutionary topics (such as forensics, parentage, kinship, population structure, and intra-specific phylogeny) to macro-evolutionary themes (including species relationships and the deeper phylogenetic structure in the tree of life). Unlike most prior books in molecular evolution, the focus is on organismal natural history and evolution, with the macromolecules being the means rather than the ends of scientific inquiry. Written as an intellectual stimulus for the advanced undergraduate, graduate student, or the practicing biologist desiring a wellspring of research ideas at the interface of molecular and organismal biology, this book presents material in a manner that is both technically straightforward, yet rich with concepts and with empirical examples from the world of nature.

Related Books

Molecular Markers, Natural History and Evolution
Language: en
Pages: 511
Authors: J. C. Avise
Categories: Science
Type: BOOK - Published: 2012-12-06 - Publisher: Springer Science & Business Media

Molecular approaches have opened new windows on a host of ecological and evolutionary disciplines, ranging from population genetics and behavioral ecology to conservation biology and systematics. Molecular Markers, Natural History and Evolution summarizes the multi-faceted discoveries about organisms in nature that have stemmed from analyses of genetic markers provided by
Molecular Markers, Natural History and Evolution
Language: en
Pages: 511
Authors: John C. Avise
Categories: Biochemical markers
Type: BOOK - Published: 2001 - Publisher:

Books about Molecular Markers, Natural History and Evolution
Molecular Markers, Natural History and Evolution
Language: en
Pages: 511
Authors: J. C. Avise
Categories: Science
Type: BOOK - Published: 1993-09-30 - Publisher: Springer

Molecular approaches have opened new windows on a host of ecological and evolutionary disciplines, ranging from population genetics and behavioral ecology to conservation biology and systematics. Molecular Markers, Natural History and Evolution summarizes the multi-faceted discoveries about organisms in nature that have stemmed from analyses of genetic markers provided by
On Evolution
Language: en
Pages: 186
Authors: John C. Avise, Distinguished Professor Ecology & Evolutionary Biology John C Avise, Ph.D.
Categories: Science
Type: BOOK - Published: 2007 - Publisher: JHU Press

John Avise is one of the most distinguished evolutionary biologists of our time. His groundbreaking work with mitochondrial DNA created the entire discipline of phylogeography and his work on the Pleistocene refugia hypothesis redirected scientific thinking about patterns of distribution. Spanning a remarkable thirty-five-year career, the essays gathered here were
Clonality
Language: en
Pages: 237
Authors: John Avise
Categories: Science
Type: BOOK - Published: 2008-10-23 - Publisher: Oxford University Press on Demand

99.9% of vertebrate species reproduce sexually. This book describes the other 0.1%-the clonal reproducers. Asexual animals are inherently fascinating and also uniquely instructive about alternative reproductive modes. The author guides readers into the astonishing realm of sexual abstinence, from levels of DNA molecules and cells to whole animals and populations.